The Super Bowl is a great time to get together with friends and family! Whether you are hitting your local bar or getting together at a friend’s house this weekend, Super Bowl Sunday tends to be accompanied by tasty cocktails and scrumptious side dishes. While we will never cheat someone from their chance to indulge, some of you might be wondering how you can enjoy the festivities without compromising on your health journey. Well, not to worry, we have compiled a list of tips, tricks, and recipes to ensure you are keeping your gut and overall health intact this weekend without missing out on all the fun!
Game Day Side Dishes That Will Wow the Crowd and Nourish Your Body
- Homemade Popcorn - Do you have a bag of kernels lying in the back of your pantry? Homemade popcorn can be an awesome shareable snack to add to your Super Bowl spread and can be customized in many ways! After using olive oil to pop your kernels in a pot, decide which spices to add to your popcorn. Some of our personal favorites include paprika, garlic, onion powder, hot sauce, and, of course, salt!
- Guacamole - Guacamole is a game-day classic and will only help to support your health! It is jam-packed with monounsaturated fats, fiber, and potassium. Fiber is essential to maintaining your gut health because it feeds the beneficial bacteria in your gut.
- Brussel Sprout Sliders - Using brussel sprouts as a bun is revolutionary and will surely wow the crowd at your gathering! Simply gather any ingredients you want to add to the middle of your sliders, such as turkey bacon, cheese, and tomato, then sandwich them between two halves of a roasted brussel sprout.
- Air-Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower - Buffalo wings might be the most classic game-day appetizer. By using the air-fryer and swapping out chicken for cauliflower, you are revolutionizing the health content of this classic app. An air fryer is a great way to cook food without an insane amount of added oil. This is also a great way to have a vegetarian-friendly appetizer on your table!
- Utilize this Dip Trick - Dips are another trending appetizer that many people are adding to their spread this Super Bowl Sunday! However, many dips contain high amounts of sour cream, which can be hard on the stomach. This is why we recommend switching it out for greek yogurt instead! Greek yogurt is high in protein and is incredibly beneficial for your gut health. By switching it out with the sour cream in your dip recipe, you will not be skimping on flavor and will only enhance the dish’s health benefits!
Habits to Implement Before This Weekend to Support Your Health
When it comes to special occasions, there tends to be a change in one’s eating and drinking habits. However, this does not mean your body should struggle because of it. Here are some ways to prepare your body for the fun weekend ahead.
- Hydrate - When we are away from home or generally distracted, we forget to follow simple habits such as drinking water. To prepare your body for the weekend ahead and your health in general, drink sufficient water before, during, and after this weekend. This is especially important if you are planning on drinking, as alcohol tends to make your body more dehydrated.
- Remember to Practice Mindful Eating - Distraction and excitement can cause us to practice unhealthy eating habits such as overeating. It can be something that we are ignorant of, but that can negatively impact our digestive health. Overeating can cause bloating and stomach cramps, two symptoms one will want to avoid, especially during special occasions.
- Take Your Probiotic Supplement and Other Bloating Supplements - Taking your health supplements is incredibly important, especially when you know you will stray from your regular eating habits. A probiotic supplement and gut health enzymes can help protect your digestive system from experiencing digestive ailments.
- Prioritize Sleep - Getting a sufficient amount of sleep each night is essential in maintaining a healthy immune system. A strong immune system is especially vital right before a long weekend.
The Power of a Mocktail for This Weekend
Alcoholic drinks can be detrimental to your gut and overall health; however, there is no harm in indulging from time to time. There are also several different ways to improve your relationship with alcohol. For example, mocktails have risen in popularity due to the flexibility they offer. Mocktails are non-alcoholic beverages that are still tasty and a healthier alternative to an alcoholic beverage. They can be an excellent option for those who still want a tasty cocktail while also cutting down on the amount of calories they consume. Alcohol tends to have a load of empty calories that will only hurt you on your health journey.
If you do choose to indulge in some alcoholic cocktails this weekend, be sure to eat hearty meals throughout your day. Food helps to slow down the rate at which the alcohol hits your system, which will help you avoid feeling sick due to alcohol.
We understand the excitement surrounding an event such as the Super Bowl, and with this excitement can come an urge to overindulge in the cocktails. Make sure to be mindful and pace yourself this weekend; your body will thank you for it!