The new year brings an opportunity for a fresh start. Some people take advantage of this fresh start and use it as a chance to tackle those goals they have been meaning to achieve. The consensus in regard to new year resolutions tends to always be fairly split, so the question is, is there merit to this long withstanding tradition? Let us break it down, and share with you some potential resolutions you can use to kickstart your year the right way.
Are New Year Resolutions Worth Your While?
The concept of a new year’s resolution has been around for as long as we know. They have motivated people to achieve those goals they have been thinking about for quite a while. Here are some benefits to creating new year resolutions:
- Allows for Accountability: While you can push yourself to achieve a goal at any point throughout the year, there is something symbolic about starting a goal at the beginning of the year. It is easier to track your progress, and you will be more likely to stick to something that has a clear starting line. However, one should not be discouraged to start goals regardless of the time of year it is.
- Offers Clarity and Focus: Reflecting before the start of the new year is a great way to check-in with yourself on how life has gone for you the past year, and what you would want life to look like in the year ahead. Resolutions require you to take note of the important aspects of your life.
- Builds self-confidence: We all know the feeling of achieving something that we have worked towards for quite some time. Setting and achieving new year resolutions will help you to feel proud of yourself and your actions. Building self-confidence is an extremely vital pillar to achieving self-love.
- Provides Hope: The end of a year can be a very dark period for many. You might be feeling burnt out and your anxiety levels might be at an all time high. Creating goals for the new year can offer a sense of hope for what is to come, and can direct your mind into a more positive segway. We know how easy it can be to lose sight of the future, and we hope that you will allow the idea of achieving something in the new year to guide you to a lighter tomorrow.
New Year Resolutions For Those Looking to Improve Their Physical Health
New year resolutions tend to focus on improving a certain aspect of oneself. Let us break down some new year resolutions you can set for yourself that all focus on improving your physical health.
- Have a better relationship with exercise: I have always had a complicated relationship with exercise. Sometimes I feel extremely motivated to get up and go for a run, while other times, all I want to do is sit on my couch and not move. Fostering a good and consistent relationship with exercise is a resolution I always come back to. As with any resolution or goal, one of the best ways to achieve them successfully is by creating smaller goals to get you to that bigger achievement. For example, this coming year, my goal is to hit my 10,000 steps a day at least 28 days a month. Everyone’s resolutions will look a little different. Remember to personalize your goals to your own needs and desires.
- Get that annual checkup: Sometimes, getting to the doctor’s office to get that annual checkup seems like the most impossible task. Be sure to schedule those doctor and dentist visits for the coming year ahead of time in order to commit yourself to them.
- Cut out bad health habits: Certain habits such as excessive alcohol consumption, getting to sleep late, and/or smoking can all have incredibly adverse effects on one’s health. Take a moment to sit with yourself and decide if there are any health habits that are hurting you more than helping you. Then, commit to eliminating these habits from your routine in the coming year.
- Start a gut health routine: Taking care of your gut will benefit both your physical and mental health, and incorporating a supplement that helps with bloating such as Sexy & Slim and a probiotic supplement such as Probiotic Renu will make all the difference. Start your year and digestion off on the right foot and shop our Sexy & Trim Wellness Kit here!
New Year Resolutions For Those Looking to Focus on Their Mental Health
Now let’s break down some new year resolutions that focus on improving one’s mental health.
- Learn when to say ‘no’ and when to say ‘yes’: With the hustle and bustle of daily life, it can be easy to lose sight of social engagements. Some people struggle with putting themselves out there and making those connections with others, while other people struggle with learning when to stay back for their mental health. Finding your boundaries when it comes to your social life is incredibly important in fostering a peaceful and positive environment for yourself.
- Create an evening routine (and stick to it): Recently in the world of social media, many people have romanticized this idea of having an evening routine to wind down and relax. While an evening routine is not always going to look picture perfect, there is some merit to having self-care already incorporated into your daily life. Sit down and ask yourself what are some non-negotiable self-care activities you would like to participate in during the evening time this coming year.
- Limit your screen time: The internet is intertwined with many aspects of the world nowadays. It can become easy to be swept up in the world of social media, but it is important to take a step back and remind yourself of the real world. A great resolution is to spend less time in front of a screen and more time engaging with loved ones and strangers alike.
- Practice Gratitude: Sometimes all we need for a mental shift is a moment where we practice gratitude. Setting aside time every day to take a moment and think about all the beauty in your life can shift your overall mindset into a more positive place.
This coming year, above all, just remember to give yourself a pat on the back from time to time!